Sunday, August 23, 2009

Love...Dessert Style Pt. 1

In the last few months, I decided to enter the dating realm again after a long hiatus. It was at first a little fear inducing, but I've easily settled into the adventure. In fact, a few of the upcoming blog posts will chronicle my journey. I'll incorporate desserts instead of names to protect the names of the innocent. I hope you like it, so let's roll...

The very same week I decided to venture back into the dating pool, I was successful. One day while I was out doing errands, I was greeted by a rather intriguing man whom I'll call Blackberry Ice Cream. He is dubbed as such because I was experimenting that week with my ice cream maker, as I always seem to be doing when the summer starts. And as I'd been out walking in my garden dreaming of all the deliciousness to come from my recently planted lettuce, cucumbers, peas, strawberries and my budding raspberries, I felt motivated to go to Whole Foods and get some instant gratification.



While there I saw some blackberries in the produce section and decided to experiment. On the way out, I ran into Blackberry Ice Cream. He was rather intriguing to me, the way a new flavor from Oberweis is when you wanna shake up your ice cream routine. He and I both realized instantly there was an attraction and decided to see where it lead. Over the next couple weeks, we talked on the phone, met up for coffee, had dinner a few times, took long walks and discussed philosophy, religion, politics, you name it. Now while he was easy on the eyes, tempting to taste and a sweet treat to talk to, I never ventured to take a bite.

Lovely blackberry ice cream lived up to the recipe that I'd recently happened upon online. However, he was tangy to the point of overly tart and heavier than cream overall in his high handed views than I desired. I confess, too rich for my blood. So in the case of love and comfort with Mr. Blackberry Ice Cream man, it was a no go, but, I did fall in love with a new flavor of ice cream. Check out the recipe that I borrowed from About.com and adjusted to my own taste.


Ingredients

2 C. blackberries, abt. 12 ozs.
1 C. granulated sugar
11/2 tbs. lemon juice
11/2 C. heavy cream
1/4 C. sour cream, full fat
1/4 C. half & half

In large saucepan over medium heat, combine the blackberries, sugar and lemon juice. Cook covered for about 20-25 mins. The sugar should be dissolved and the berries soft. Pour berry mixture into a fine mesh sieve. Then press berries in the mesh sieve to fully extract all juice. Pour juice into a blender, add heavy cream, sour cream and half & half. Blend/pulse until mixture is creamy. Pour into ice cream maker (automatic or old fashioned) and let the good times roll. I recommend putting it the freezer for about an hour or so to firm up even more. Then voila!


Happy Eating,

Syreeta :0)
Ritzy Cakes
www.ritzysweetandsaucy.com

1 comment:

  1. loving the fact that you're blogging!! great first post! stay blessed my friend!!

    ReplyDelete